Sep 8, 2011

My Trip to Taiwan

I went to a trip to Taiwan and week or so ago. The count felt very exotic to me, as it was actually my first visit to a country that doesn't use English as a national language. So everything was in Chinese( well, most signs had English and Japanese along with it.) But, you see, most Japanese characters(kanji) come from Chinese, so with a little bit of guessing, I was able to "read"The the Chinese signs and menus and the like.


As this blog is about space, I guess I should write a bit about it here too.

On the 3rd day of the 4-day trip, I went to the Taipei Astronomical Museum.

(By the way, 天文 stands for Astronomy.) As you can see, it's pretty big.
I think this museum is a good place to go to get basic info about space, such as solar eclipses and the Coriolis force. It had tons of hands-on exhibits, and for some reason there was a Haunted Mansion-style ride on the 4th floor. (I didn't go there, btw)
There was a pretty well-made model of the LEM too.

But, the biggest dissapointment was...
The signs were in Chinese. They were at least kind enough to translate the titles of the panels to English, but I had to guess most of the parts.




One thing I noticed in Taiwan was the motorbikes. Everywhere you go, the roads are filled with them! There isn't enough parking space for cars, so everyone eventually started using bikes. I think you'll get the picture with this photo.


But above all the culture shocks, probably none was bigger than this.

I won't say much about this.

I'll end this post by posting a picture of me with a guard in a memorial center.

No, he's not a wax figure like you see in Madam Tussauds! He's a real, live person. And he doesn't move at all! It was creepy.