Jun 13, 2011

The Dilemma with Space Hotels

Hi, and sorry I haven't posted for a while. There were some troubles with the RSS feed of the blog, and as you can see the "visitor counter" doesn't show up like it's supposed to and the "search" thingy is "loading" forever. I fixed the RSS problem, but the other 2 is still not fixed.

Anyway, I had this weird but nice dream of me going to a 3-day visit to a "space hotel" in orbit.
The cabin had a cool wood texture to it(which isn't the crux of the story, but it left a pretty big impression in my mind so I wrote it anyway), but the main problem was this;

Argg!!! Why is the cabin 1-G!?


The ceiling and the floor was curving upwards, so I guess it was artificial gravity made by centrifugal force.
I guess it looked something like this

But the most fun part of going to space should be the ZERO-GRAVITY!! What else? (alien encounters and the amazing view of Earth, I guess)

But still, it just isn't it with 1-G gravity.

But here's the dilemma.

Some people (well, most people maybe) could get sick from being in zero-G for a long time. Even trained astronauts do.

So, we want to enjoy the floating around but still we're worried about getting sick.(and I'm sure that's not a pretty sight...)

Which should we choose? Or, which will the space industries choose?

It's a hard choice.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/03/2011

    Hello, it's me commenting for the second time on the same day. Currently, there are, as far as I know, are three projects for (private) space hotels proceeding. (I'm sorry but they're all not using artificial gravity) The first one, Galactic Suite, is a "space resort", planned to be open by 2012. It has "some" monetary support by private investors, but I think it's not enough. It consists of five habitation modules, and has a spa(?), and the prices are・・・・・30million€!!! It's diffenetly too expensive. Furthermore, the modules are based on ESA's ATV, and ESA has no interest on projects like this, so I'd say it's going to fail. The second one, is Space Complex Alpha, from Bigelow Aerospace. Bigelow already has two spacestations, GenesisⅠ, and GenesisⅡ.(There both experimental, so they can't be used for hotels) The reason they're so rich is because its CEO, Robert Bigelow(sometimes known as "The Hotel King") is an millionare. The company bought technology from NASA and has its own production facility. Their space station consists of two Sundancer modules, one BA330 module, and an docking node. It can be visited after one of these modules be sent to space, which will be no earlier than 2015. The prices are・・・・・unkown, actually. But it'll difinitly be very expensive. But I'd say this company has the biggest chance fo not turning into a failure. And finally the last one is Orbital Technologies Commercial Space Station, from Russia. Orbital Technologies is planning to launch this on 2015 or 2016. This company is supported by several groups and companies in Russia, so this may also work too. The prices are still unkown. So this is the end and sorry for making this long and hard to read.

    ReplyDelete